Healthy Apple Donuts
These are simple to make and fun to eat, but you do need a melon baller kitchen tool to do this easily and properly. Since you are sealing air from your cut apples you don’t even have to worry about them turning brown and they can sit out two hours for easy munching.
Instructions to Make Healthy Apple Donuts
- Wash your apples, any kind – go with your favorite or serve a variety of different apples. Red or green, it’s up to you.
- Slice your apple with the apple laying sideways, on it’s round side. You’ll get about 4-5 slices per apple.
- Place all of the round slices on a cutting board and insert the melon baller into the center of each slice while pressing down. The seeded center will pop right out (unless your slices are extra thick, in which case you may have to give it a little 1/4 turn jiggle)!
- Spread something gooey on top of each slice. Use a sticky spread (see below for suggestions) that will be able to hold on to your next toppings, sprinkles or sauces. Don’t let them dry before you go to the next step.
- Top with small fruits, pieces of fruit or other toppings (see below for suggestions).
- Sprinkle with smaller sized toppings like granola or chopped nuts.
See below for some of our favorite flavor combinations or come up with your own.
Apple Donut Suggestions
Try any of these creations or make your own custom designs. These fake donuts just might entice your kids away from pre-packaged snacks, but one thing’s for certain – no one is going to miss the fat and calories of actual doughnuts.