How to Freeze Basil and Other Herbs
Although fresh herbs are ideal, they are not always practical. These instructions for freezing basil work great for other herbs such as rosemary, sage, thyme, cilantro and oregano too. Here’s an easy way to keep herbs on hand.
1) Chop leftover fresh herbs. Remember that the stems can be chopped right along with the leaves, no need to let them go to waste.
2) Divide the cut fresh herbs into ice cube tray compartments. Silicone molds or mini muffin pans could also be used as containers to freeze the herbs.
3) Cover the chopped herbs with olive oil to 3/4 full. The fresh herbs will infuse into the oil while freezing. Melted butter (to make herb butter) or just plain water can alternately be used to fill the ice cube compartments.
4) Freeze until firm.
5) Transfer the individual cubes into a resealable freezer safe bag or containers until ready to use.
6) Toss the cubes (as many as desired) into soups, stews, roasted veggies, pastas – any recipe that would benefit from a hit of fresh herb. Ready when you are!