Green Velvet Shamrocks for St. Patricks Day
These green velvet cakes may not be as astetically appealing as the original red velvet cakes that they are patterned after, but they do taste every bit as delicious. Also, they list high on any St. Patricks Day desserts list. I used my favorite red velvet cake recipe and altered it slightly to get a cake that wouldn’t rise too much so that a shamrock cookie cutter will cut through it. If you have a metal cookie cutter, that will work much better than my narrow plastic one. Not only can you have a thicker cake, but the edges will not be as crumbly if they are cut with a sharp metal cutter.
Have a Happy St. Patty’s Day!
Green Velvet Shamrocks - Ingredients
Green Velvet Cake Ingredients:
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
Green Velvet Shamrocks - Recipe
Directions for Green Velvet Cake St Patricks Day Desserts
1) Measure the Flour, Cocoa, Baking Soda & Salt – stir and set aside.
2) Beat the Sugar and Butter for about 5 minutes at high speed of an electric mixer.
3) Add the eggs, one at a time. Follow with the Sour Cream, Milk, Food Coloring & Vanilla and then beat again.
4) Pour in the flour mixture slowly and mix at low speed, just until mixed.
5) Spread the mixture into a prepared (greased & floured) sheet pan. This recipe will make 2 sheet pans. Be sure to spread the batter thin so that your cookie cutter will reach the bottom of the pan after the cake is baked.
6) Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7) Cool completely, then use a Shamrock cookie cutter to press firmly down and make cut-outs in the cake. Lift the cut-outs up with a spatula if needed.
8) Make the filling by beating the first 4 filling ingredients (listed above) together until smooth and then gradually beat in the confectioners sugar.
9) Frost a green velvet cake cut-out with some filling and then place another cut-out directly on top before the filling dries.
P.S. Remember that no food shall go to waste. Make sure to use the “scraps” of cake to make cake-balls. Crumble the remaining cake with a fork and then mix with just enough green frosting to make the mixture stick together. Roll into small balls and then dip them into melted chocolate, frosting or sprinkles.
Green Velvet Shamrocks - More Info
These green velvet cakes for St Patricks day desserts are great with icing in the middle stored on the counter or filled with mint chocolate chip ice cream instead and frozen.To find out how long green velvet cakes last view our cake page. Hope you enjoy these St. Patricks Day Desserts – have a great St. Patricks Day!