Red, White and Blue Sangria - Ingredients
Ingredients for Red, White & Blue Sangria
- Pears – 3-4 fruits (Apples also work great. Pineapples, white peaches or Star fruits can also work).
- Strawberries – 1 pint
- Blueberries – 1 pint
- Dry White Wine – 2 bottles of your favorite (Sauvignon Blanc is a good choice)
- Triple Sec – 1 Cup
- Berry Flavored Vodka – 1/2 Cup
- Lemon Juice – 1/2 Cup freshly squeezed
- Simple Syrup* – 1/2 Cup *Directions in step 1 below to make this simple syrup.
Instructions to Make Red, White and Blue Sangria
How to Make Red, White & Blue Sangria– Perfect for the 4th of July!
- 1) Make the simple syrup. To make simple syrup, simply boil 1/2 cup of water then add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar. Simmer, stirring constantly until dissolved (mixture will turn completely clear in color). Let this mixture cool before making the red, white and blue sangria.
- 2) Cut fresh fruits – Rinse all the fruits first then slice the strawberries lengthwise and leave the blueberries whole. For the pears, slice them thinly from two sides. Place the slices on a cutting board and then use a star cookie cutter to cut a star from each slice of pear. If you are using star fruit, simply slice thinly.
- 3) Mix the remaining ingredients in a large pitcher.
- 4) Add the cooled simple syrup and mix.
- 5) Add cut fresh fruit and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 6) Serve in wine glasses, decorated with a slice of star fruit if you found some.
That’s the proper way to make a white sangia, but sometimes we’re in a hurry (or just plain lazy) and cheat. We just dump a bottle(s) of wine into a pitcher and add the fruit. Then we drink the wine with dinner and eat the yummy wine-soaked fruit for dessert. The pears and/or apples stay white because they are soaked in wine. So, enjoy this red, white and blue Sangria on the 4th of July or any day of the year.