Pretzel Dog Ingredients
1 package Yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons Salt
1 1/2 Cups Water
2 Tbs Brown Sugar
4 Cups Better for Bread Flour (or, 2C Bread Flour and 2C regular all-purpose Flour)
1 package Nathan’s Skinless Bun Size Hot Dogs (be sure to buy this brand, you will be sorry if you try to cheat here and use an inferior hot dog).
That’s it for the dogs, but you will also need 2 Tbs Baking Soda (and 2 cups warm water) for the bath before baking
And about 2 Tbs melted Butter for brushing the bagel dogs after baking is completed.
Pretzel Dog Instructions
- Sprinkle 2 &1/4 tsp active dry Yeast (that’s 1 package) into 1 &1/2 Cups of lukewarm water (110°-120°). Make sure the water is warm to the touch, but not hot. Stir to dissolve then let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar and 1 &1/4 teaspoons of Salt and stir again.
- Add 4 cups of “Better for Bread” Flour.
If you don’t have this flour, you can use 2 cups bread flour and 2 cups all purpose flour.
- Knead until soft and elastic (the dough will work its way up & down the mixing hook). Let the dough rise uncovered for 30 minutes (or more).
- Grease a baking sheet with Crisco or butter.
- Fill a bowl with 2 Cups of Warm Water and 2 Tablespoons of Baking Soda. Stir.
- Pinch off some of the dough (put a little bit of flour on your fingertips first to prevent sticking) and roll it into a long thin rope about 12-16 inches long.
- Dip the rope into the baking soda water bath and then roll the rope around a hot dog.
- Allow the dogs to rise again after being rolled, about 20-30 minutes.
- Bake the tray at 450°F for 10 minutes (or until golden brown).
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with salt right after removing from oven.
- Dip the pretzel dogs in mustard, ketchup or melted cheese (if desired) for a warm satisfying meal. They are delicious, no matter how they’re served!