Steps for How to Make Poached Eggs
Instructions for Making Poached Eggs:
- Fill a pan or pot with water, about 1/2 way (at least enough to fully cover the eggs).
- Boil the water and then add a cracked egg to the boiling water. The water should be at a gentle boil and not a full rolling boil or the egg will be scattered all over the place when it hits the water. The best way to add the eggs is to crack each egg individually into a little cup or bowl and then pour each one into the water. This is best because if a piece of shell should fall into the boiling water, there is not an easy way to retrieve it and the egg can be dropped closer to the water, keeping it in tac. CAUTION: be careful when dropping the eggs, keeping your hands back to avoid a burn from either the steam or splashing water.
- Set the timer for 3 minutes. No more, no less. If you are using a regular pot, no lid is needed and it’s fun to watch the egg turn white. You will notice that the egg starts at the bottom of the pan and then rises to the surface when it is done. If you have a special pot, made for making poached eggs, then put the lid on the pot to collect the steam.
- Remove the eggs from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Place the poached egg over toast for smashing, serve fancy Eggs Benedict or whatever way you wish to enjoy your perfectly poached egg.
- Enjoy your perfect poached egg!